I am a Student | Educator

Work Opportunities

Australia has a very low Unemployment rate of 5.5%. This means that the employment rate is very high. Around 72% of people aged 15 to 64 in Australia have a paid job. Some 78% of men are in paid work and 67% of women are in paid work. Good education and skills are important requisites for finding a job. In Australia, 80% of adults aged 25-64 have completed upper secondary education. You too can find work in Australia on your student visa.

Let's go

Work while you study

Whilst you are studying in Australia you can undertake paid work, there are a few rules.

You cannot work until you have started your course in Australia. Once your course has started you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and when your course is not in session you can work as many hours as you want.

If you do work that is a registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.

Many students find part time work in the hospitality industry working in hotels, bars and clubs. You are protected under Australian law with regards to your working conditions and rates of pay. The lowest rate of pay in hospitality is $18.30 per hour with “extra” shift pay on weekends.

Can my family work as well while I'm studying?

Yes. Good news! Family members can work whilst you are studying.

However they:
must not start work until the primary visa holder has commenced their course in Australia.

Can work up to 40 hours per fortnight at all times unless the primary visa holder has commenced a course towards a masters or doctoral degree and holds a Student visa (subclass 500). In this case, there is no limit on the number of hours a family member might work.

Work after you graduate

Depending on the course you have studied there may be options for you to stay in Australia after graduation.

The Professional Year Program (PYP) is specifically designed for Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485) holders. The PYP can be between 18 months and 4 years long and is offered by approved industry providers. It includes workshops, skills training and a professional internship placement.

The PYP is recognised by the Department of Home Affairs. It lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.

To be eligible you must be, be under 50 years of age, hold an eligible visa, have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course and meet additional requirements of the relevant stream.

The qualification must either relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (Graduate Work stream) or be a higher education degree (Post-Study Work stream).

Ask us how we can help you access the Professional Year Program after graduation.

What are you waiting for?